In order to collect data, or legally take aerial photographs and aerial drone videos from remotely piloted aircraft (even for recreational purposes), the operator must have passed an examination and hold an ‘RPAS Pilot Certificate for Basic Operators as a minimum (Note: your drone must also be registered with Transport Canada).

This demonstrates of a level of competency and safe practices, and include the requirements for you to make detailed flight plans, risk assessments, emergency procedures and maintenance logs etc.. Failure to comply with Transport Canada CARS section IX regulations can result in fines up to $25,000 and/or jail time.

Note: Some (but not all) of the Transport Canada drone regulations are not applicable to very small drones (lighter than 250g). However, you must still operate them safely and responsibly.

Comments are closed.